Content is king, and attention is the currency.
Some of us might be overwhelmed by all the online content, and our attention span has become laser-focused and transient. So making our blog posts for the readers is super important. An easy solution is to format the blog posts to be easily digestible, engaging, and SEO-optimized. The ability to quickly scan content and comprehend its value is crucial for engaging with any audience.
Our blog readers are no exception. Hence, creating a scannable, visually appealing, and keyword-driven format for your blog posts is paramount. This is where the true power of formatting lies.
Prioritizing Your Readers Through Effective Formatting
Never forget the human element in the digital world. Search engine algorithms matter but are secondary to your readers' experience. After all, what good is attracting traffic if the content doesn't resonate with the reader? THAT PART!
1. Promote Content Scannability
Transforming your content into an easily scannable format is the best gift you can offer your readers. Your number one priority? Making your content as scannable as a supermarket barcode. Use punchy headlines, break up chunks of text, and throw in relevant images to give readers a quick rundown.
2. Embrace Listicles
Breaking down your tips or ideas into bullet points or numbered lists can be a game-changer. They're simple to read, a breeze to scan, and they'll help your readers get the most out of your content.
3. Opt for Short Paragraphs
Reading on the web ain't the same as curling up with a good old paperback. It's more like a sprint than a stroll. So, keep your paragraphs short, snappy, and to the point. Aim for about one to three sentences each.
4. Highlight Key Concepts Boldly
Don't be shy to bold the important keywords or concepts in your post. It grabs attention and makes it easier for readers to scan your content.
Optimizing Your Formatting for SEO
With your post now aesthetically appealing and scannable for your readers, it's time to focus on search engine optimization.
- Harness the Power of H Tags-H tags (<h1>, <h2>, etc.) are like breadcrumbs for search engines. They show what's super important on your page. Your main title should get the H1 tag. If you're using a blogging platform like WordPress, it's got your back on this. But don't stop there. Use H2, H3, and so on for your subheadings.
- Bold The Main Keywords-After you've made your post easy on the eyes, find your main keyword and make it bold. This tells search engines that this word or phrase is mega important.
- Utilize Alt Tags for Images- When adding images, stick in alt tags that describe what's in the picture and include your main keyword. It's a little thing that can help boost your SEO.
- Integrate Keywords into Your Text-Lastly, make sure your keyword pops up several times in your post. Don't go overboard, though. For a post of 400+ words, try to use the keyword about three times.
And there you have it! Using these formatting tips will make your content more engaging for your readers and give it some serious SEO juice.
If you want more SEO and blogging, make sure to read my friend's article- HOW TO WRITE SEO-FRIENDLY BLOG POSTS!
TASK: Go through ten of your older posts:
- Are they scannable and easy on the eyes- if not, continue to the next step…
- Break up long paragraphs.
- Make lists with your info.
- Highlight important words
- Use H2/H3 headings
- Add a keyword and what the picture is about in your images ALT TAG.
- Make sure your keyword is sprinkled throughout the post, but not much!
Here is a checklist for you. Use the template right HERE